Who does Dick Fain see having a good week at Augusta and walking away with the Green Jacket at the 2022 Masters? Check out all of Dick's thoughts and top picks below!
1. Brooks Koepka- The big game hunter is not happy that he has nearly slipped out of the top 20 in the world. I like to buy stocks when they are low. His is as low as they have been in years at a major where his last 2 appearances when healthy he finished 7th and 2nd (in 2020 and 2019). A Masters title would cap off his future hall of fame status.
2. Justin Thomas- He might have the most pressure on him to win of any elite player in the field since the “only” major he has won is the 4th major, the PGA championship. JT has now gotten comfortable with Augusta and other than a disappointing 21st last year he had finished higher in every one of his first 5 trips including a 4th in 2020. For some statistical evidence, every Masters champ in the last 10 years has gained at least 18 strokes on on the field in their 4 tourneys leading up to Augusta. JT is at a whopping 34, five more than any other player in the world. He is just entering his prime and has Augusta savant Bones Mackay on his bag and the time is now for him to grab his first (and quite possibly not his last) Masters title.
3. Jordan Spieth- This is your annual bingo free space at the Masters, he has finished in the top 3 five times at Augusta including a win and had one of his best statistical ball striking tournaments of his career last week at Valero. If he putts terribly he will still finish top 20, if he putts OK he’s a top 5, if he putts well which he has before here, he’ll win. I doubt he putts well since last week he was abysmal on the greens, but Augusta always seems to make him comfortable and the difficulty of the greens drives even great putters crazy so it nullifies some of the weaknesses of the bad putters (ie Hideki last year.)
4. Xander Schaffelle- The most decorated player in the world without a major championship. He’s won Olympic gold, he’s won a tour championship, he’s won a WGC. The time for a major is now. I can already tell you I’ll be on him to win the US Open, but this one is right up his alley as well. Twice in the last 3 years he has been in the hunt on Sunday only to finish 2nd and 3rd in 2019 and 2021. He’s primed.
5. (Tie)- Dustin Johnson- Nobody is talking about DJ anymore and I think thats how he likes it. The winner here just 15 months ago has been hot and cold recently but his performance in the WGC Match Play and the Players Championship is enough to get me to believe. With all the rain Augusta has seen the last week balls won’t be rolling as much which means a bombers advantage…and we all know DJ is a bomber. Top 10’s at the Masters in 5 of the last 6 years is quite enough track record for me to buy in.
5. (Tie)- Will Zalatoris- 12 months ago this kid looked like he might be the first player since Fuzzy Zoeller to win a green jacket in his first try before Hideki took it from him. He is perfectly suited for this track. I’d pick him to win if he had any experience winning on the PGA tour, but I’ll stick with a top 5 or top 10 bet because getting your first win ever at this tournament has been nearly impossible.
Tiger Tracker- I can’t stop writing until I’ve said something about the Big Cat. I’m amazed he’s playing. That being said, if there is one thing we know about Tiger. He wouldn’t play if he didn’t think he could win. I think he’s a virtual lock to make the cut and a pretty nice top 20 play. I’m not going to pick him to seriously contend but let’s be honest, would it really shock anyone if he was in the hunt Sunday?